When my husband and I got married we decided to use an iPod for our music. He has a great deal of music equipment, including a mixing board and large speakers on stands, so using an iPod just seemed like a good choice for us and it saved us a decent amount of money. We were able to have the exact music we wanted (no chicken dance for us!) and it worked out perfectly! When I designed our wedding invitations (I was a very DIY bride haha) I included a spot at the bottom of the R.S.V.P. for a song request. This way we were able to add songs that our guests wanted to hear as well, which got the dance floor going, especially when someone heard their song request playing! I even included Hanson’s MMMBop and the Spice Girls Wannabe in the mix (because I may have been obsessed with those as a child)- even our photographers joined in dancing to those, which I absolutely loved! I’ll always remember belting out those tunes while dancing like a maniac with some of my closest friends.
If using an iPod isn’t for you, a DJ or band can work with you to chose a selection of songs you’d like to hear at your wedding as well! Whether you want some standards like Shout or Sweet Caroline, or something a little different- it’s your wedding, so there is no right or wrong music!
Here’s a few of my picks, some upbeat, some slower, (click song name to go to link) to get your toes tapping! What are some songs that get your toes tapping at a wedding reception?
1. Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear- Silent Movies
2. Lake Street Dive- You Go Down Smooth
3. Deer Tick- Miss K
4. Rayland Baxter- The Mtn Song
5. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats- I Need Never Get Old
6. Sam Beam & Jessica Hoop- One Way To Pray
7. The Avett Brothers- Kick Drum Heart
8. Emiliana Torrini- Jungle Drum
9. Alabama Shakes- I Found You
10. Noah and the Whale- 5 Years Time
11. Tegan and Sara- Closer
12. Gregory Alan Isakov- The Stable Song
13. Weezer- My Best Friend
14. The Waterboys- How Long Will I Love You
15. Leon Bridges- Coming Home
16. Lord Huron- She Lit a Fire
17. First Aid Kit- Emmylou (my husband and I relive our wedding every time we hear this song!)
18. Walk the Moon- Shut Up and Dance
19. Ryan Adams- Firecracker
I’m sure I’ll be adding to this list, or perhaps I’ll even do another blog post at some point, but I hope you enjoyed some of my song picks so far!